Birthday Cake Puppy Chow
Birthday Cake Puppy Chow (aka muddy buddies mix) with Chex cereal – yum!
For those of you who do not know what Puppy Chow is, it is a yummy treat that is extremely EASY to make. It takes no time and you only need a few ingredients. While many people do many different things with their puppy chow, also referred to as muddy buddies, the main ingredients you’ll find in most of the puppy chow recipes are powdered sugar, Rice Chex cereal, and melted chocolate.
This birthday cake puppy chow recipe has a few extra ingredients to give it that birthday cake feel. It is perfect for parties, get togethers, or just any occasion where you want to throw something together super quick.
Here’s how to make Birthday Cake Puppy Chow:
You will need the following ingredients (you can find the measurements listed below on the recipe): Rice Chex cereal, White Chocolate Chips, Powdered Sugar, Birthday Cake flavored Cake Mix (OR yellow or funfetti cake mix), and sprinkles.
First, you’ll combine the powdered sugar and cake mix in a large container that also has a lid (this will make things very easy later on).
Set the powdered sugar/cake mix mixture aside, and in a separate bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. You can follow the instructions that came with your chocolate chips on melting it, or if it doesn’t have any, microwave the chocolate chips for 1 minute and then stir them. After that, you’ll keep microwaving the chocolate chips in 15 second intervals and stirring after each time until they’re all melted.
Once you have your melted chocolate, get 5 cups of the Rice Chex cereal and pour it into the melted chocolate (or you can pour the chocolate over the cereal. whichever is easier for you. Also, if you find the chocolate is too thick add a little shortening or melted butter). Mix gently until all of the cereal is coated in white chocolate.
Once your is cereal is all coated, fold in the sprinkles.
Add the coated cereal to the powdered sugar/cake mix mixture you made first. Put the lid on the container and shake, shake, shake!! Get all the cereal coated. NOTE: You could also do this in a ziplock bag — if you prefer that over a container.
Once you have all of the cereal coated, you’re done! Time to enjoy!
If you love Chex Mix, then you’ll adore Muddy Buddies! And, Birthday Cake Puppy Chow is just Muddy Buddies on HIGH SPEED! They’re so delicious, your whole family will love them. Make them for a Holiday treat – or any time!
- 1 1/2 Cups Cake Mix (It can be Birthday Cake mix, Yellow Cake mix, or even Funfetti Cake Mix)
- 5 1/2 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 1/2 Cups White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sprinkles
- In a large container combine the powdered sugar and cake mix and then set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Follow the instructions the chips came with, or if did not come with any, place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. After you heat them for 1 minute, mix and then heat again in 15 second intervals,stirring after each time, until the chocolate chips are all melted
- Add the Chex cereal to the melted chocolate, or if you find it easier to just pour the melted chocolate over the cereal, do that. Stir gently, getting all of the cereal coated with the white chocolate. Once you have all the cereal coated, add the sprinkles.
- Add the cereal that you just coated with melted white chocolate and sprinkles to the large container with the powdered sugar/cake mix. Put the lid on the container and shake it to get the cereal coated with the powdered sugar/cake mix. (Note: You can also do this with a ziplock bag if you prefer. Just add the chex that has been coated with the chocolate to a ziplock with the sugar/cake mix and shake it).
- Once you’ve coated the Chex evenly, you’re done. Enjoy!
- You can store extra puppy chow in a container or ziplock bag.